5.27.2011

No Te Preocupes

Dear Mimi,


Do I remember any specific lessons from any of my years of high school or college Spanish? I do not. I do, however, know the skit you co-wrote for your high school Spanish class. You told me about it, probably when I was working on something for one my my own assignments.


          You: Dios mio! Me olvido mis cuaderno!
                   (OMG! I forgot my notebook!)


          Your Friend: No te preocupes! Yo tengo papel!
                          (Don't worry! I have paper!)


These sentences became part of our vocabulary, always repeated with the same giggling theatrics that I imagine the piece was originally performed. The first line, delivered to the other, expressed, 'I don't have this thing that I need.' Or, 'I don't know how to do some thing.' Or, 'I forgot this thing that I need.' Or, 'I have failed at some thing.'


The other person delivered the second line after providing, or helping, or hugging, or teaching, or consoling, as needed.


And more frequently, the second line was said by itself. It always meant, 'I've got your back.'


         And, 'That doesn't matter, because I'm here.'


             And, 'I'm so glad I could help you.'


               And, 'That's what I'm here for.'


                 And, 'It's you and me, BFF.'


Love,


A

0 comments:

Post a Comment